In staying true to my inability to update, her birthday was May 30th, and I'm just mentioning it now. Karyn was my adorable roommate from Venezuela. She spent a semester in Cambridge studying English at the New England School of English (did anyone else know there was a language school in the Garage in Harvard Square? I clearly missed it!) So, she has near perfect English, and while fairly naive, acknowledges it and turns it into a joke. I can't count the number of conversations that start with "Michal, you're going to think this is really funny, but can I need your advice on something." However, despite her naivete, she was pretty mature and we kept each other from going crazy on our other roommate (who was less enjoyable...)
While most people on the Ulpan chose to celebrate their birthdays at the kibbutz pub (which didn't change much from week to week), Karyn decided to cook up some Venezuelan yummies. We had cachapas, and arepas, both corn flour based. The cachapas were sweeter, and more like pancakes, while the arepas were thick, and from my understanding just corn flour, water, and salt. Both were eaten with cheese and pastrama (turkey deli meat), and thoroughly delicious. I asked if I could try to fold the cheese into a pocket the arepas dough before frying, or if that would be rude to their customs. Karyn laughed and said that it would simply turn it into an empanada, though empanadas are traditionally deep fried.
I was having a blast cooking, and since everyone else really just cared to eat, and not the process so much, I became pretty good at flipping the cachapas and arepas with just tongs and a fork (no spatula available to us...) It took a bit of craft, but was fun and tasty. We also decided to fry up the turkey, cause well, it's delicious :)







No comments:
Post a Comment