Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A concert series

The following is a brief account of the concerts I went to. I apologize for how blurry some photos are. I wasn't using flash...

18 Feb 2011 - Efrat Gosh.
The song that plays when her website starts up is her big single. She's very popular, but the concert was AWFUL. She joined the Tel Aviv Jazz Band, and sang many famous jazz ballads, but none of it came together. She and conductor couldn't decide who was leading the show, the conductor had to say something between each song, and the band itself was terrible; The LHS jazz ensembles were better. At once point, the conductor actually stopped the band to restart a song. Really unprofessional... Regardless, Efrat Gosh is really cute, and I got a night out with my dad and aunt.


19 Feb 2011 - Yehuda Poliker
He is a wonderful artist that was always playing in my house. My parents have taken us to go see him in concert a couple times, and the last time he seemed pretty washed out and tired, even playing one of his upbeat radio hits as a ballad. When my dad asked if I wanted to go see him again I was a little hesitant, but my dad said he just came out with a new album, so maybe he's rejuvenated. Man, oh man, was my dad correct! The concert was full of life, his old songs were played as I remember, and his new songs were just as excellent. He has Greek parents, and tributes them by playing the bouzouki in many of his songs, giving his music a uniquely Poliker feel.

Rocking the bouzouki

1 March 2011 - Gogol Bordello
You'll notice the photo quality drastically increases. This is because I've stolen most of the photos from my friend. His camera took better photos, and he's significantly taller than I am so he got better angles. There were some girls being sexy prior to the show (belly dancer and girl in the hoop). The show itself was quite the experience. My friends wanted to stand right up on the stage, which put us in the middle of the mosh pit. Having never been in an American mosh pit, I have don't have anything to compare it to, but the few guys who attempted crowd surfing failed, and I spent most of the time feeling like one of these guys, continually getting pushed around but always being popped back up. Well, to be honest, that was a bad analogy because I never collapsed. I guess it was more like a trick bowling pin that always bobbles back up. Quite the experience, but very fun!








4 March 2011 - Yitzchak Rabin Tribute
Okay, so it wasn't quite a concert, but it was music and an experience. Apparently every Friday afternoon a group of people gather in Rabin Square and sing national songs, many talking about the Palmach, in tribute to Rabin, and to remember not only him, but also democracy, and the hope of peace. My aunt and I check it out after my aunt heard about in on the radio (Putchu - A guy who fought in the Palmach attends every week, and he talked about it during his weekly segment on the radio. He is now known for his children's books). The woman who we spoke to before singing started said that they try not to be too political, but just to remind, and not forget, about what happened.
We were lucky to come on quite a unique week. Two young boys - somewhere in high school - joined, apparently for the first time. Both of them were clearly slightly disabled. We think one had asbergers. He knew EVERY word to EVERY song (everyone else was singing along off of written lyrics) and was very excited about the whole affair. Turns out his grandmother also fought in the Palmach, alongside Putchu!
So, the photos aren't too exciting, just sitting around a guitar, and recorder, taking it all in. The top photo is Putchu talking to us.

1 comment:

  1. I read a review of Efrat Gosh's concert in Haaretz. They totally disliked the performance, like we did. But their main issue was with Gosh, who according to them cannot sing Jazz. I thought that the bigger problem was the orchestra and the conductor. But the entire evening was amaturish.

    Kef reading you!

    ReplyDelete