So I've been in Tel Aviv a bit over a month now, and I'm not exactly sure what to share with you all. I've finished up the "adventure" part of my endeavor, and have moved on to the living part. If you all had a blog about your life in your respective locations, would you have much to share?
In an attempt to stay interesting, I'll pull out whatever I can about my day to day activities in the city.
I've been waitressing, as a way to occupy my days, make money, and meet people. Sadly, it doesn't look like any real friendships are coming out of it. The staff is amazing, friendly, and supportive of my attempts to operate soley in Hebrew, but outside of the work environment, there has been no progression. It helps that they're all so nice, though, because I've remembered how much I do no like serving... The method here is also rather different. While in the States servers tend to have relatively few tables and keep constant attention that everything is okay, water filled, food cooked will, etc, here serving is much more passive. I can have 10+ tables, but once I grab the food order they're kind of on thier own. Food gets dropped off, sometimes by me, sometimes others (we pool tips, so everyone does everything), and then I just sort of continue to walk around making myself available to get flagged down if they want something. Somewhere towards the end of the meal I'll drop of wet wipes and toothpicks, and at the point of clearing tables I'll ask if they want to hear about our desserts... but there's not much doting.
In other news, I've met 3 new Bens... for those of you who know me pre 20, you'll understand the humor. I have also made several other friends with other names... and a good friend of mine is moving to the city in a week! So I'm pretty excited about that :)
I spent they day before yesterday with a new friend (Isaac, 27, New Orleans) that I met at a party last week. We spend the day with his dog, Marlow, in the dog park, along the promenade, and in the park. Dog was happy, we enjoyed ourselves, and the weather was surprisingly temperate. Sadly, Isaac is going to the army in about 3 weeks, and doesn't know what to do with his dog. Anyone know anyone in Israel who wants a dog? Adorable Boston Terrier - inquire for photos :-P
I've also learned to stop question all the crazy connections people have in Israel. You think you're meeting someone random, and it turns out you're not. A few examples:
My waitress went to high school with a college friend
People I met at a party last week were on Ulpan with friends I made 2 weeks ago randomly on the beach
Random guy in the bar last night was on Ulpan with Tamar (well, he actually approached me because he had to get it off his chest and verify)
6 degrees of sepearation does not exist in Israel - maybe 2 degrees.
Other than that, it's pretty much day to day living for me. There are some days when I think I'm completley ready to come home, and some days where I feel I'm not done here yet and think about coming back very soon. But then I remember all the other places in the world I want to explore, and I get rather conflicted...
Regardless of everything, I can't wait to see my mom next week - and in Bulgaria, no less!
Thursday, August 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment