Hi friends!
I'm happy to say that I've arrived safely in Israel without any complications. My mom recommended that I make a blog but I haven't gotten around to it yet. So here goes the massive mailer. If you're uninterested in updates, please don't feel bad telling me; I'll take no offense. Conversly, if you're taking to someone and they are sad they didn't get an e-mail, it wasn't on purpose. Please tell me and I'll add them to the list!
So, I got here on Saturday, and after getting picked up by my aunt and uncle from the airport, we continued on our way (stopping by buy a million Israeli snacks along the way, which are now happily inhabiting my "kitchen" - which is actually just a sink, electric kettle, fridge, and cabinets). When I arrived on kibbutz Ma'agan Michael all the rooms were already full. There were still people from the last ulpan in a couple of the rooms, and the lock on the room they wanted to put me in was broken. So, I dragged all my stuff down to a totally crap hole of a room, to stay there for the night. Luckily, they decided to rearrange the boys to open up a room for me, and I got to move to a nice room that night - again, just temporary. Well, as fortune has it, they fixed the broken lock the next morning, and put girls in there as they arrived. I had the option to move there right away and know that I could start unpacking, or to stay put, but know that I might have to move later. Well, being lazy, I decided to stay put while they filled up the other rooms, continually waiting for them to tell me to move, hoping that they wouldn't - but it never happened! And thus, I am the only person on this program with a room all to myself :) Everyone else is 3 to a room. I get the comfort of coming in and out without disturbing anyone, having a quiet place to read, and conquring the entire closet.
While I thought at first that I was at a slight disadvantage to making friends, I quickly discovered that this was not true. We generally all hang out outside all day (except today, which was cold and rainy) so I've met most people already. The majority of people arrived before I did and had already begun forming groups so I had the luxury of staying on the outside and scoping out where I best belonged before accidentally committing. The program is basically split into two age groups: 18/19 and 22/23. Naturally, I relate to the older group better, but there is one 19 year old girl from North Carolina who I've really connected with. Other countries represented in this cirlce are: New Zealand, Australia, England, and Canada.
I've also met people from Sweeden, Holland (adopted an 18 year old "little brother" who is adorable), Columbia, Uraguay, Argentina, Brazil, Panama, Mexico, France and I'm sure other countries that I've forgotten about. They tell us over 20 countries are represented here.
I've heard that on past programs the South Americans tend to keep to themselves. We've been very lucky that they enjoy interacting with us. Many of them have poor English, and few of us know Spanish, but we communicate in Hebrew which is an exciting way to practice! Though, I feel bad for those students who don't know Hebrew yet. But they will, and we will help them!
Which leads me to classes. Not surprisingly, I got placed in the highest level. Most of my class is South Americans who did all of thier schooling at Hebrew schools and already speak, read, and write well. I've paired up with a Dutch guy in my class who reads and writes well. When he has a question about what our teacher (Sharon) says, I tell him. And when I can't read what she writes on the board, he helps me. His literacy and my vocabulary create and unstopable duo! I had my first piece of homework today. I had to read about 2/3 of a page (which I found very intimidating at first glance), and answer questions about it. I went to "the Aussie room" (3 fantastic boys who went to Hebrew schools in Australia) for a study group of a bunch of us from varying levels. Most of them have formally studied Hebrew and read fairly well, so they all helped me. Meanwhile, they could read words but were unable to understand, so I helped to translate. We all got to hear a lot of vocabulary and everyone helped and needed help in some way. It was great how all of us had something to contribute even though all of us also felt like we were stuggling! About half of the people here have immigrated to Israel (most of my friends... I'm not sure where the half just visiting like me are...), so they're very determinted to learn as much as they can. I'm just excited to finally be able to read all those e-mails from my relatives.
As for work, I've been placed at the refet - or the place where the cows are. Is there a word for that in English? For those of you who don't remember me from middle/high school days, I LOVE cows. I've been hoping to work at the refet for the last 3 years that I've know that I would eventually do this program. They also have a petting zoo that I had requested to work at, as well, but I've very happy with my placement. Today I learned how to heard the cows and milk them (using machines... there are hundreds of cows). Some of them were more difficult than others, and I got kicked pretty hard in my hand.... a beautiful purple welt is developing. They didn't tell me until after that she's known to be a tough one, and then showed me a bar you can put across her back so that she can't kick. Next time. Another perk of the refet - it's kind of far away on the outskirts of the kibbutz, so they gave me a bike to get to work! I had wanted a bike but wasn't sure yet if I'd invest in one (only about 150 NIS or $35-40 to get one second hand, so I probably would have regardless). Since I'm not supposed to run, I plan on taking long cycling adventures around the kibbutz to get my excersize in.
In my leisure time, I go to the beach, or sit at tables outside, relax in someone's room with a nargila (aka hooka), etc. It's a tough life I live. There are a few people here who swing and/or salsa, so I'm hoping to get to the city and go dancing some night. A couple nights ago, some Argentinians were outside playing guitar and bongos, and Hunter, a guy from Washington, asked me to dance. It was fantastic! It wasn't any recognizable style, but fun known the less. Hunter is really the surprise of the whole experience. He's mormon and has come just because he wants to learn Hebrew and more about Jewdeism. He asks all sorts of questions, gets thrilled at every new word that he learns, and is always in high spirits. I pity every other previous ulpan that did not have a Hunter.
And on that note, I'll sign off. This e-mail got long, and I have to get to bed.
To the Tuesday night crew - Thank you SOOO much for the lovely photo. I've changed it to my desktop background despite my sincere attachment to the last background. As sad as I was to not be there, it looked wonderful. Nice job, Sarah!
Love you all!
Michal
PS props to you if you made it all the way :)
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment